A classical music website by Tim Mangan
And yes, I’ll be writing for it. losangelesregister.com
The print edition:
Los Angeles Register
April 16, 2014
Do you want to comment?
Comments RSS and TrackBack URI
Wow! An offshoot of the OC Register, I presume!
Yes, owned by us, but with a separate staff. Those of us still in OC will contribute too. I’ll be reviewing more in LA. It’s a daily.
That looks like really exciting news. Congratulations, Tim – I am truly happy about that!
Congratulations, Tim. If they launch editions in San Diego and San Francisco, you may have your hands full. 🙂
Thanks to you both, MarK and kitsunebi. I will do my best to stay sane. kitsunebi, my hands are already full.
I hope this works out, the Los Angeles Times needs some competition. Glad to hear you’ll be writing for it, hopefully it’ll be more than 500 word reviews i.e. longer pieces about “classical music” stuff.
It’s nice the owner of the Register is ambitious enough to attempt such a project at this moment in time. It will be amazing (and gratifying) if he succeeds.
Nonetheless, I can’t help but sense that what he’s doing is similar to what a manufacturer of buggy whips (the proverbial ones) would have been angling for decades ago if he chose to expand his product line just as the 10 millionth Model T was rolling down the assembly line.
The “Los Angeles Register” has already published two articles on a few more positive aspects of downtown LA, which since that’s where Disney Concert Hall and the LA Phil are located, tends to pique my interest and curiosity. More specifically, I’ve often wondered whether it’s harder or easier to attract top-flight talent to the LA Phil, or if there’s no impact at all, if the neighborhood around that organization is appealing or not, or unpleasant (which LA’s downtown was notorious for being in the past) or not? Then again, the Cleveland Orchestra is famous for the caliber of its musicians, so perhaps the point is moot.
However, luring in good musicians must have been a tougher task back when the Philharmonic was playing in the acoustically murky and orchestral-audience-un-friendly environs of the Chandler Pavilion.
You are correct – your point about the neighborhood is moot. As for the impact of the hall on the ease of “luring”, wonder no more – i have an answer. Yes, the quality of the hall may play a role in musicians’ decision to audition for a particular orchestra. According to my precise scientific calculations, the hall is responsible for not less than 0 and not more than 3% of the decision, depending on individual musicians and their priorities – roughly 1.5% average. The other measly 98.5% are unevenly divided between such minor considerations as salary, working conditions, length of vacations, medical coverage, pension, other benefits included in the musicians’ contract, orchestra’s stature and reputation, music director, the home city’s desirability, its geographical location, personal and family preferences, and a few other miscellaneous items that are different for every musician. After all that is taken into account, the hall may be the most important consideration.
This is great. And terrific that the Register is expanding. Perhaps the new owner’s expanding of the OC Register has paid off?
I also assume that you’ll be getting twice the salary, right???
At first I thought, April 1st again? LOL
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Google+ account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Twitter account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Facebook account.
( Log Out /
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Join 364 other followers
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.